Our preschool curriculum was designed with the knowledge that children learn best with a “hands on” approach. That is why we want to make learning fun, and everything we do is designed for preschool education.
Each morning we start preschool with ‘circle time’. This is a fun time where children learn the pledge of allegiance, the weather, the calendar, letter and name recognition, along with choosing class helpers. We have fun talking about the activities for the morning.
Other Activities Include:
• Weekly themes to teach your preschooler math, science, music, movement, art, reading, Spanish, writing, and language skills
• A letter and number of the week to help improve writing and language skills
• Spring and Fall assessments to track your child’s academic development toward kindergarten readiness
• Active involvement from parents as well as communication between parents & teachers
• Guest presenters add excitement and fun to our program
• Folders are sent home at the end of each week with your child’s work as well as any weekly updates
• Playtime to socialize and encourage their imaginations
The teachers design their lesson plans to meet the unique developmental needs of preschoolers, making sure that each child receives the attention and skills they need to succeed.
Physical Development & Health to include; complete personal tasks (i.e. dressing, brushing teeth, toilet, washing hands independently.) Gross and Fine Motor Skills, including navigation, balance, building and exploring.
Social & Emotional Development to include; communication & cooperation with others, establish secure relationships with adults, independence and confidence in a range of activities, and self regulate emotions and behavior.
Language Development to include; understand and respond to complex directions, use of increasingly complex vocabulary, and Spanish Language introduction.
Language and Literacy Development to include; Book appreciation & knowledge, phonics awareness, alphabet knowledge, and early writing.
Logic & Reasoning to include; reasoning & problem solving, draw on experience to seek solutions.
Mathematics & Science to include; number concepts & relationships, patterns & measurement, and conceptual knowledge of the physical world.
Creative Arts to include; awareness & practice in music, dance, and art.
Having Fun! Learning standards are great, but at Little Explorer’s Learning Center all children have fun too!
4 Yr. Old Developmental Domains
Social & Emotional Development
Sense of self:
- Show ability to adjust to new situations
- Demonstrates appropriate trust in adults
- Recognizes own feelings and manages them appropriately
- Stands up for rights
Responsibility for self & others:
- Demonstrates self-direction and independence
- Takes responsibility for own well-being
- Respects and care for classroom environment and materials
- Follows classroom rules
- Plays well with other children
- Recognizes the feelings of others and responds appropriately
- Shares and respects the rights of others
- Uses thinking skills to resolve conflicts
- Demonstrates basic locomotor skills (running, jumping, hopping, galloping)
- Shows balance while moving
- Climbs up and down
- Pedals and steers a tricycle (for other wheeled vehicle)
- Demonstrates throwing, kicking, and catching skills
- Controls small muscles in hands
- Coordinates eye-hand movement
- Uses tools for writing and drawing
Learning and problem solving:
- Observes objects and events with curiosity
- Approaches problems flexibly
- Shows persistence in approaching tasks
- Explores cause and effect
- Applies knowledge or experience to a new context
- Classifies objects
- Arranges objects in a series
- Recognizes patterns and can repeat them
- Shows awareness of time concepts and sequence
- Shows awareness of position in space
- Uses one-to-one correspondence
- Uses numbers and counting
Representation and symbolic thinking:
- Takes on pretend roles and situations
- Makes believe with objects
- Makes and interprets representations
Listening and speaking:
- Hears and discriminates the sounds of language
- Expresses self-using words and expanded sentences
- Understands and follows oral directions
- Answers questions
- Asks questions
- Actively participates in conversations
Reading and writing:
- Enjoys and values reading
- Demonstrates understanding of print concepts
- Demonstrates knowledge of the alphabet
- Comprehends and interprets meaning from books and other texts
- Understands the purpose of writing